About Mercedes-Benz U.S. International: Scholarships
2018 MBUSI Scholarship Winners
Mercedes-Benz U.S. International is pleased to announce the recipients of our 2018 Mercedes-Benz Endowed Scholarship. Five students from area high schools and five children of current MBUSI Team Members were selected for the scholarship.
Each of the students will be awarded a $2,000 scholarship to help them pursue a degree from a college of their choice. The students were selected based on their scholastic achievements as well as their leadership within both their schools and their communities.
The Scholarship was established in 2003 as part of MBUSI’s 10 Year Anniversary and is now in its 14th year.
The recipients for the 2018 scholarship are:
- Robert Burchfield, Oak Grove High School, Son of Kenneth Burchfield, QVS
- Colton Cabiness, Tuscaloosa County High School, Son of Ronald & Tanya Cabiness (Assembly 1-Maintenance/Assembly 2 Operations)
- Alexander Kincaid, Holy Spirit High School, Son of Eric Kincaid, PG- USA R&D
- Ryan Smith, Spain Park High School, Son of Michael Smith, Quality Vehicle Systems - EVS
- Abigail Weyerman, Hewitt-Trussville High School, Daughter of Brian Weyerman, QVS
The five community scholarship award recipients:
- Taylor Guyton, Northside High School
- Halee Hudson, Northside High School
- Jane Langford, Homewood High School
- Elijah Sink, Hope Christian School
- Victoria Stack, Hewitt Trussville High School
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OUR SCHOLARS AND GRADUATES. YOU’RE ALL WINNERS!
MBUSI Scholarship Application Process
Applications for the 2018 Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Scholarship Program are now available. MBUSI established the program in 2003 to assist Alabama high school seniors and dependent children of MBUSI Team Members who plan to continue education in college or vocational school programs.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive a one-time scholarship. Up to ten (10) awards will be granted each year, with half of the scholarships being granted to children of Team Members, the other half to students from high schools in the selected areas.
Interested students must complete the application and mail it along with a current, complete official transcript of grades to: “Scholarship America,” which manages the program for MBUSI. The address for Scholarship America is One Scholarship Way, St. Peter, Minn. 56082. Applications are accepted between January 1 and March 15. (March 15 is the deadline). An application is available for download via the link(s) above.
The Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Scholarship Program has been established by Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc. (MBUSI) to assist Alabama high school seniors and dependent children of MBUSI Team Members who plan to continue education in college or vocational school programs. Scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at an accredited institution of the students choice.
This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship Management Services, a department of Scholarship America. Scholarship America is a national nonprofit educational support and student aid service organization that seeks to involve and assist the private sector in expanding educational opportunities and encouraging educational achievement. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, disability, or national origin.
Applicants to the Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Scholarship Program must be:
- High school seniors from the following areas in Alabama: Jefferson County and Tuscaloosa County, who plan to enroll in a full-time** undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school by the fall term following the application period.
- High school seniors who are dependent children* of full-time Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc. Team Members who plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school for the entire upcoming academic year.
* Dependent children are defined as natural and legally adopted children or stepchildren living in the Team Member's household and primarily supported by the Team Member.
** Full-time study is defined as full-time enrollment for the entire upcoming academic year.
Children of MBUSI's Management Team (E-2) are not eligible.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive a $2,000 award. Up to ten (10) awards will be granted each year. One half of awards will be granted to children of Team Members, the other half to students from high schools in the selected areas (with geographic spread).
Awards are for undergraduate study and are for one year only.
Interested students must complete the application and mail it along with a current, complete transcript of grades to Scholarship Management Services postmarked no later than March 15. Grade reports are not acceptable. Applicants will receive acknowledgment of receipt of their application. If an acknowledgment card is not received within three weeks, applicants may call Scholarship Management Services (contact info below) to verify that the application has been received.
Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated. All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by Scholarship Management Services.
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and aspirations, unusual personal or family circumstances, and an outside appraisal. Financial need is not considered.
Selection of recipients is made by Scholarship Management Services. In no instance does any officer or employee of MBUSI play a part in the selection. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified in early May. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
PAYMENT OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarship Management Services processes scholarship payments on behalf MBUSI. Payments are made in one installment by August 15. Checks are mailed to each recipient's home address and are made payable to the school for the student.
Recipients have no obligation to MBUSI. They are, however, required to notify Scholarship Management Services of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
MBUSI reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions regarding the scholarship
Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Scholarship Program
Telephone: (507) 931-1682
Toll-free telephone: (800) 537-4180